GLOBAL BARTER COMMUNITIES HANDBOOK
GLOBAL BARTER COMMUNITIES HANDBOOK
By Atty. Jocelle Batapa-Sigue, Juris Doctor, Founder, Global Barter Communities (May 17, 2020) and Bacolod Barter Community (May 8, 2020)
ARTICLE 1 – VISION AND MISSION
Section 1. The Global Barter Communities (GBC) envisions a world where kindness is without borders and humanity is defined by the extent with which every race can help one another to survive the global impact of the pandemic and adapt to the “new normal”. We stand in solidarity as different barter communities established by local stakeholders in common mission to promote barter as part of our way of life as Filipinos.
Section 2. We will strive to establish and redefine the traditional barter system as a new norm of helping one another and shall not in any way promote commercialism and materialism but positive values such as generosity, determination, honesty, patience, integrity, gender sensitivity, equality and ecological awareness. We commit to promote these values as the cornerstones of our respective barter communities.
Section 3. Barter is exchanging goods and services based on the mutual and voluntary decision of two persons. It is not selling, for the goods or services are not exchanged based on price but value. It is not also donating for the good are not given without anything in exchange. The price of the item or service is never equal but the happiness and feeling of satisfaction should be equal. We commit to encourage the members of our community to embrace these values.
Section 4. The barter communities shall serve as platforms for people to meet and agree to exchange goods. It shall not interfere, intervene, force or influence any individual to enter into any barter agreement. The barter agreement ensuing from the barter communities shall be the responsibility of members involved therein.
Section 5. The barter communities shall not promote, endorse nor encourage any act that is against laws, morals, public order and public policy and shall immediately cease or refrain from any activity that it may later on become aware to be against laws, morals, public order and public policy.
ARTICLE 2 – AFFILIATION
Section 1. Barter communities which adopted the rules started by the Bacolod Barter Community on May 8, 2020 shall be accepted and recognized as affiliates of the Global Barter Communities. Our goal is to ensure the highest standard of character and reputation of all the founders in their respective areas. Interaction between all the communities and community founders shall be one of solidarity, honor, respect and mutual benefit.
Section 2. There is no fee or consideration to affiliate except the full commitment of the founders to devote time and talent to managing a healthy barter community. Any barter community that manifestly digresses from the values of the Global Barter Communities may be disaffiliated, subject to due process.
Section 3. No affiliate shall grant any recognition in behalf of the Global Barter Communities at will.
ARTICLE 3. MECHANICS
Section 1. The barter community is a private group where our medium of exchange consist of items and/or services – No cash or any equivalent of cash shall be allowed to be requested or offered. Strictly no buying or selling in this group.
Section 2. Only members using their name and details and are willing to abide with group rules shall be admitted. Any member proven to be violating any rule shall be removed automatically.
Section 3. Post the item you want to exchange with anyone subject to approval of moderators. Each community shall enlist the help of professionals of good standing in the community as volunteers subject to a commitment not to disclose all data belonging to the community. Character references may be requested from volunteer moderators.
Section 4. The barter community shall only approve posts with the following conditions:
- Must have name or full description of item
- Must have reason of Barter
- Must be accompanied with decent pictures
- Must not contain price
- Must contain a generic description of the items they want in exchange
Section 5. The following posts shall be declined automatically:
- Illegal, expired, indecent or defective items
- Posts which asks for cash or private message as mode of offer
- Posts that are for the purpose of selling or promoting products
- Dogs and cats, birds and fishes, wild animals and all animal subject to permits but not limited thereto, except livestock or animal for food and gaming
- All items subject to extraction or production permits such as gravel, charcoal and honey thereto depending on the ruling of local agencies in the area
- All drugs requiring prescription and similar items
- All items that require titles or paper before transfer can be made effective except for items of small value or under a mechanism to ensure existence of proper titles
- All items that are subject to company direct selling restrictions
- N95 or high-grade masks, airsoft, guns, weapons and indecent pictures that are flagged by FB community standards
- Vape and other items with pending prohibitory laws
- All posts without pictures and captions or with indecent pictures and captions
- All posts aimed at ridiculing or humiliating any member or individual or a sector
- All other posts asking for the above items in exchange for their bartered items
- All posts that does not indicate the requirements for in Rule 4 (Name or full description of item, Reason of Barter, Decent and true pictures, must not contain price and must contain a basic or general description of the items they want in exchange)
- All other items that may be restricted by law and agencies in the future
Section 6. Then other members can offer an item and you can choose which one you like from the ones offered. No member shall be allowed to send via private message his or her offer or shall offer cash. No one shall offer cash or force anyone to accept any offer. No indecent or vulgar offer is allowed. The Page shall not be liable for your own choice.
Section 7. The offers can go on in the thread until the one who posted selects from the thread by replying DEAL to the choice and restating the goods exchange. The Page shall not be responsible for your exchange. Everyone is assumed to have entered to the agreement with sound mind and freedom. By entering into a “deal”, both parties are said to have had a meeting of the minds to enter into a barter agreement.
- Once the choice has been made the barter is now deemed completed. Both parties must agree by expressly stating DEAL. No one is allowed to steal any closed deal. No one is allowed to offer anything to take what is being offered in another thread.
- No one shall be forced to make a choice immediately. Anyone badgering a member to make a choice shall be removed. A member can also delete his post if he has not found any offers he want, unless he has already made a deal. However, a member who consistently post without choosing an offer, shall be subject for removal. Admin shall also exercise right to remove unresponsive posts after a minimum of 3 days since posting to give way to new posts.
- Members are encouraged to barter food, ingredients, edibles, beauty products or toiletries and other essentials. No harmful, unlawful, expired, indecent or unlicensed items please. Please report any post which are suspicious and unlawful or any misrepresentations.
- Then members may use delivery systems or other arrangements that you agree on mutually. Please keep numbers, delivery addresses and other personal information secure. Discuss delivery arrangements in private messages.
- Strictly no minors allowed. Each member shall be responsible and consenting adults dealing with one another in good faith. It is presumed that all the one bartering possess full ownership and right of disposal of the items being bartered.
- Once exchange is complete, please edit your post and indicate Barter Completed, Done, Completed or Closed. The member is advised to mute commenting on his post. The member can delete his post once exchange is made or even after deal is closed at your convenience. Admin reserves right to delete post after the consummation of barter.
- The Page will not be liable or responsible for transactions between parties in this page. No fees shall be collected for posting or participation in this page.
- All members shall support to help keep the group fun, dynamic, useful and inspiring in this time of pandemic.
Section 8. The communities may also allow other types of posts such “looking for” and promotions posts but must have all the mechanics of bartering still apply.
ARTICLE 4 – ADMINISTRATORS AND MODERATORS
Section 1. The founder of the community is ideally the Administrator of the community. He or she should be of good moral character and good standing in the community and must have visible means of income or profession.
Section 2. The Moderators shall also be persons of good standing in the community, preferably a college graduate or a professional. Before a moderator is admitted, he or she must be requested to email the Administrator of his or her desire to do volunteer work without compensation, and must clearly state his or her commitment not to disclose, misuse or arrogate upon as his or her own any and all data that belongs to the group page. Any leak of information to personal data of all members shall be considered a breach that requires the removal of the moderator.
Section 3. The moderator shall submit at least two names and contact details of prominent individuals as character references.
Section 4. All Administrators and Moderators shall be motivated at all times by civic spirit or the “bayanihan spirit” and innovation in building and maintaining the community instead or business and personal interest so as not to affect the vision of the community.
Section 5. The Administrator shall manage the group in a spirit of collaboration and consensus and must seek to resolve all problems and conflicts in a positive way. The growth and development of the community shall be higher than individual differences.
ARTICLE 5 – DEGREE OF INVOLVEMENT
Section 1. The barter community shall serve as a platform for people to come to “a meeting of the minds” to exchange goods and services. But it shall not interfere with transactions in the barter posts and will have no responsibility over the mutual decisions and arrangements of two consenting adult parties, except for the purpose of ensuring that the proper mechanics are followed. Towards this end, the Administrator shall regularly issue announcements, reminders, tips and advisory to keep the members informed. Lack of information may result to breakdown of compliance.
Section 2. The Administrator shall create platforms for members to easily report and suggest improvements as well help police the community. Here are some of the suggested grounds to report for purposes of blocking and removing a member:
- Asked or demand cash in private message or during meetup
- Deliver wrong, fake or insufficient item as agreed
- Insulting a member or an item and exhibiting rude or indecent behavior on comments
- Suddenly just cancelled completed deal for no valid reason
- Misrepresented an item to be working but is actually defective
- Spreading and commenting negative vibes in the threads about members and about the page
- Demanding to be chosen and badgering member in PM to be chosen despite a close deal
- Stealing an offer or offering something to a member who is offering in a post (suhot)
- Unreasonably arguing with or putting to shame or inciting other to put to shame any or all group administrators or moderators and similar actions
Section 3. The Administrator shall constantly create activities to help motivate the members and be virtually engaged, by documenting success stories, creating polls, developing daily challenges for members to participate in.
ARTICLE 6 – INNOVATION AND LEARNING
Section 1. The founders of a barter community shall continuously connect with various founders to exchange best practices and learn from one another. They must also keep abreast with laws and policies to improve their respective communities. Activities that allow various communities to collaborate are highly encouraged.
Section 2. The barter community may undertake programs to raise funds for the community or prizes and resources for programs and activities but not for the monetary gain of any founder, unless the same is an authorized and recognized work related to the management of the community, subject to proper accounting procedures.
ARTICLE 7 – INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
Section 1. This handbook belongs to the Global Barter Communities and shall not be in anyway duplicated without proper authority, including any and all materials shared by members, unless authorized by creators. Any use or duplication or any part of this handbook shall be actionable in court.
ARTICLE 8 – GOVERNING LAWS
Section 1 – The governing laws for barter agreements are found in the Civil Code of the Philippines, specifically Book IV, as follows:
Art. 1954. A contract whereby one person transfers ownership on non-fungible things to another with the obligation of the part of the latter to give things of the same kind, quality and quantity shall be considered as barter.
Title VII. – BARTER OR EXCHANGE
Art. 1638. By the contract of barter or exchange one of the parties binds himself to give one thing in consideration of the other’s promise to give another thing.
Art. 1639. If one of the contracting parties, having received the thing promised him in barter, should prove that it did not belong to the person who gave it, he cannot be compelled to deliver that which he offered in exchange, but he shall be entitled to damages.
Art. 1640. One who loses by eviction the thing received in barter may recover that which he gave in exchange with a right to damages, or he may only demand an indemnity for damages. However, he can only make use of the right to recover the thing which he has delivered while the same remains in the possession of the other party, and without prejudice to the rights acquired in good faith in the meantime by a third person.
Art. 1641. As to all matters not specifically provided for in this Title, barter shall be governed by the provisions of the preceding Title relating to sales.
ARTICLE 8 – APPLICABILITY
Section 1 – This manual shall be adopted voluntarily by communities joining as affiliates of the Global Barter Community and shall not be in anyway forced upon. However, any community maybe disaffiliated for conducting its operations in contravention of the vision, mission and core value of the GBC.
May 17, 2020. Bacolod City, Philippines.
|Abu Dhabi Barter Community|
|Agusan del Sur Barter Community|
|Aklan Barter Community|
|Alfonso Cavite Barter Community|
|Angeles City Barter Community|
|Arezzo Place Pasig Barter Community|
|Australia Barter Community|
|Bacolod Barter Community|
|Bago CIty Barter Community/Barter Me, Bago City|
|Baguio City Barter Community|
|Bahrain Barter Community|
|Bahrain Barter Society|
|Baler Aurora-Makati-Quezon City Barter Community|
|Barotac Viejo/Banate-Iloilo Barter Society|
|Barter Community Bataan|
|Barter and Dive|
|Batangas Barter Community|
|Baylo ta – Kalibo Barter Community|
|BF Homes Barter Community (Paranaque)|
|BFRV Barter Group|
|Bicol Barter Community|
|Binalbagan Barter Community|
|Biñan Barter Community|
|Borongan City Barter Community|
|Bogo City Barter Community|
|Brgy. Tabunan Barter Community|
|Bukidnon Barter Community|
|Bulacan Barter Community|
|Butuan City Barter Community (BCBC)|
|CAA Barter Community – Las Pinas|
|Cabuyao Barter Community|
|Cainta Barter Community|
|Calauan Laguna Barter Community|
|Calbayog Barter Community|
|Calinog Barter Community|
|Camalig First Barter Community|
|Camanava Barter Community|
|Cambodia Barter Community|
|Candoni Barter Community|
|Canlaon Barter Community|
|Carabalan Barter Community|
|Carmona Barter Community|
|Cauayan City Isabela Barter Community|
|Cauayan Barter Community Negros Occidental|
|Cavite Barter Community|
|Cebu City Barter Community|
|Concepcion Tarlac Barter Community|
|Davao Barter Community|
|Dubai Barter Community|
|Duero Barter Community|
|Dumaguete Barter Community|
|EB Magalona Barter Community|
|Filipino Barter Community in NZ|
|First Cavite Barter/Trade/Exchange items Community|
|General Trias Cavite Barter Community|
|Gibraltar Barter Community|
|Greenheights Village Barter Community|
|Himamaylan Barter Community|
|Hinobaan Barter Community|
|Ifugao Barter Community|
|Iloilo Barter Society|
|Iloilo City Barter Community|
|Isabelenos Swap/Barter Community|
|Jamindan Barter Community|
|Japan Barter Community|
|Kapalong Barter Community|
|Kuwait Barter Community|
|La Carlota Barter Community|
|La Castellana Barter Society|
|La Trinidad Barter Community|
|Laguna Barter Community|
|Lancaster Barter Community|
|Landayan Barter Community|
|Lapu Lapu City Barter Community|
|Las Piñas Barter Community|
|Las Piñas City Barter Community|
|Launion Barter Community|
|Leon Barter Community|
|Ligao Barter Community|
|Lipenos Barter Community|
|Los Baños Barter Community|
|Mabinay Barter Community|
|Majayjay Barter : A Community that Spread Kindness|
|Makati Barter Community|
|Malasiqui Barter Community|
|Malolos Barter Community|
|Malta Filipino Barter Community|
|Mandaluyong Barter Community|
|Manila Barter Community|
|Mansilingan Barter Community|
|Maragusan Barter Community|
|Marikina, Antipolo, & Rizal areas Barter Community|
|MBA (Manjuyod, Bindoy, Ayungon) Barter Community|
|Merville Barter Community|
|Metro Manila Barter Community (MMBC)|
|Moises Padilla Barter Community|
|Montalban Barter Community|
|Montalban Barter Community Official|
|Moscow Filipino Barter Society|
|Murcia Barter Community|
|Nasugbu-Lian Barter Community|
|Navotas Barter Community|
|Negros Barter Community|
|North Caloocan Barter Community|
|First Ormoc Barter Community|
|Oton Barter Community|
|Palo Barter Community|
|Paranaque Barter Society|
|Parang Marikina Barter Community|
|Pateros- Taguig Barter Community|
|Pontevedra Barter Community|
|Pulupandan Barter Community|
|Qatar Barter Community|
|Qatar Filipino Barter Community|
|Quezon City Barter Community|
|Quezon Province Official Barter Community|
|Rinconada Barter Community|
|Riyadh Barter Community|
|Rizal Barter Community|
|Roxas Barter Community|
|San Carlos City Barter Community|
|San Enrique Barter Community (Barteran sa Pueblo de Tinobagan)|
|San Jose Del Monte – Online Barter Community|
|San Jose del Monte City Barter Community|
|San Lorenzo South Sub. Barter|
|San Pedro Barter Community laguna|
|SantaBayaBas Barter Community|
|Silay City Barter Community|
|Silang Barter Community|
|Silaynon Barter Community and Abu Dhabi City Barter Community|
|Sipalay City Barter Community|
|Sixth District Negros Occidental Barter Community|
|Sogod Barter Community|
|Sta Rosa Laguna Barter Community|
|Sta. Cruz Barter Community (A province of Laguna)|
|Sum-ag Barter Community|
|Swap UP! Barter Community|
|Tacloban Barter Community|
|Tagum Barter Community (Official)|
|Tagum Barter Community|
|Tandag City Barter Community|
|Talisay Barter Community|
|Talisay Barter Community|
|Tampilisan Barter Community|
|Tayabas Barter community|
|Toboso Barter Community|
|Tubungan Barter Community|
|Tuguegaro Barter Community|
|Tunasan Barter Community|
|UPLB Barter Community|
|Valladolid Barter Community|
|Vallehermoso Barter Community|
|Victorias Barter Community|
|Xevera Bacolor Barter Community|
|Zambales Barter Community|